Monday 5 September 2016

Congratulation to all the Nominees and Winners Kate Granger Awards 2016.

hello

Hi

I am now home from a very emotional day at the Kate Grainger awards . I was  so  very honoured to be a shortlisted Finalist
I would like to extend my Congratulations  to all the Nominees and Winners 

Thank you for such a brilliant day and for the warmth,Kindness and inspiration from all I met on the day 

Tommy 












Its with great emotion and pride that I can let you know that I have been shortlisted as a finalist in the Individual category of the Kate Granger Awards 2016.
Having Followed Kate's Story and incredible impact over the last few years   “I can only say how  honoured and humbled i am  to be shortlisted for this award.
kate's story and campaign has had a massive impact on so many including myself and #hellomynameis is often  part of my talks and my story on caring for my mum 


I was sitting at home the other night after receiving the news thinking about My mum and Kate who sadly recently passed away thinking  on how my mum would have loved  to have  met Kate as kindness was at the heart of how they both lived 
I would like to congratulate all the nominees and to all to have made the shortlist of nine and look forward to attending on September 7th 

 I would like to thank Joan @thebestjoan, a friend and truly inspiring transformation nurse, for taking the time to nominate me. I am extremely proud of Dementia Carer Voices’ work and to work alongside my Director and Mentor Irene Oldfather, our Chief Executive Ian Welsh,  and the rest of the team at the ALLIANCE.”

My friend,Director ALLIANCE Director Irene Oldfather said
The Kate Granger #hellomynameis campaign has touched hearts and minds, and changed clinical practice across the UK. To know that our Dementia Carer Voices engagement lead Tommy Whitelaw has been shortlisted for such a prestigious and compassionate award is in some ways not surprising given Tommy’s poignant story of caring for his mum Joan and his outreach across the UK. But I think we all feel moved to know that Tommy was selected by Kate herself in her last days. It is fitting given Tommy’s story, which is about love, care and compassion. The ALLIANCE is proud that work which tells the story of people themselves has been recognised in this way. Congratulations to Tommy and all the finalists.”

Now in their third year the awards were set up by Kate Granger, a doctor who worked tirelessly to raise awareness around compassion in the NHS through her #hellomynameis social media campaign.  There were more than 130 nominations for this year’s awards, and with her friend Dr Natalie Silvey, Dr Kate Granger was able to choose the nine finalists and three winners of the 2016 awards in the days before she sadly died on 23 July. Kate regularly spoke of the awards as her legacy saying,
Being a patient has taught me a huge amount about being a doctor. Prioritising compassionate care in its rightful place alongside patient safety, under the umbrella of quality is perhaps one of the most important things I have learned.
The shortlist is made up of three nominees in each of the three award categories. The first award is for an individual working in the NHS or delivering NHS funded services. The others are for teams or organisations who are part of the NHS, or who deliver NHS funded services. These services can be delivered in hospitals, or in a primary care, community or residential setting.
Thank you
Irene, Tommy, Laura and Ashleigh.
Thanks for reading my blog, You can now view my 8 short flims here! http://tommy-on-tour-2011.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/my-mums-name-was-joan-this-is-our-story.html
DCV photo DementiaCarerRGBlandscape3_zpsa2f3d5ff.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment at the tommyontour blog. Your comment will be moderated and published very soon.

My mums name was Joan ,my Mum Had Dementia - our Story 9 Short Films

Tommy’s speech, providing a carer’s perspective,  on the theme of “ No – one ever asked   ” highlighted the transformational impact that ...