Thursday 2 July 2015

Guest post - Glen Merrilees - Poem My mums name was Joan

Hi 

With Great thanks to my dear friend,MH campaigner and Poet Glen Merrilees @GlenMerrilees for the beautiful poem below 

Glen has sent beautiful and honest poems before capturing my own life and feelings betters than I can and that I have always proudly shared 

You can follow Glen on Twitter  @GlenMerrilees and I encourage you to support his campaigning work poetry and  films  

Thank you Glen 
Hi Tommy, firstly you were brilliant the other day, the passion shone through. I was looking at some of your posts on twitter yesterday and I read the article you wrote for the newspaper This inspired me to write the attached poem, hope you don't mind but I tried to write it from your perspective

Glen Merrilees 

CARERS

My door was always open
But no-one came to see
The battle we were fighting
My poor mum and me.

There had been a diagnosis
Dementia was It’s name
A ton weight dropped upon me
Fate had changed the game.

I thought, perhaps I’d manage
And it would be okay
But everything was turned around
Worsening each day.

The Lady who adored me
Would slowly drift away
Routines like hearts were broken
Snowdrops never stay.

There’s a lack of understanding
Friends excuses vague
A lack of education
This is NOT the plague.

We need some understanding
Education is the key
How many other carers
Have climbed that hill like me.

The little things mean everything
This illness is no game
My mum was just a patient
They never asked her name.

Left to fight the battle
We faced it on our own
Look further than the illness
My mother’s name was Joan.

We had to climb the mountain
As we had no other choice
It’s time they started listening
Us carers have a voice.

                   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment at the tommyontour blog. Your comment will be moderated and published very soon.

My mums name was Joan ,my Mum Had Dementia - our Story 9 Short Films

Tommy’s speech, providing a carer’s perspective,  on the theme of “ No – one ever asked   ” highlighted the transformational impact that ...