Saturday 2 June 2012

I am a Son who cares for his mum, can your life story or experience help others

I care full time for my mum Joan who has Vascular Dementia. I have been my mums  son for 49 years and have cared for her full time for the  the last 5  for the last year I have been raising awareness and collecting life stories / experiences good or bad .I have been taking those experiences to the Scottish Government in the hope of bringing more understanding and help .I now feel I have some unique opportunities over the coming months to take all this information to and work with Government ,NHS ,Social work and Glasgow City council .I have received hundreds of letters and emails detailing peoples experiences to date, along with going out to do talks and meet with families and carers like me. I truly believe in life stories ,I truly believe our experiences can be a big part in helping all of the above and the wider public understand more about Dementia and life Caring for a loved one .I hope if you are able or feel you would like to, you will  share your experience, you can  e-mail me at tommy@i-woz-there.com .Imagine sharing our experiences helped others in the future ,how wonderful that would be .I hope you can join me in my mission to tell the story of living with and caring for a loved on who has this tragic illness
Tommy 

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJune 07, 2012

    What you do is amazing and such a devotion from a son to Mother I hope this will raise much needed awareness of Dementia and those who care.I feel humbled to read this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment at the tommyontour blog. Your comment will be moderated and published very soon.

My mums name was Joan ,my Mum Had Dementia - our Story 9 Short Films

Tommy’s speech, providing a carer’s perspective,  on the theme of “ No – one ever asked   ” highlighted the transformational impact that ...