Friday 16 December 2011

Busy times again!

I had a very positive and encouraging meeting with Stephen Fitzpatrick,  Head of Adult Services and Ann Cummings yesterday, accompanied by Sarah Burgess (Alzheimer Scotland's Regional Manager for Glasgow).
We discussed caring for my mum, the tour, the letters and the people I have met. Afterwards I handed over some copies of my film and a short report on the letters I was sent. 
 
Sarah gave Stephen a copy of Scotland’s National Dementia Strategy and a paper updating him on the work of the Change Fund group, which has been tasked with improving services and support for people with dementia and their carers; one of the key pieces of work being to improve post-diagnostic support. (The Change Fund is a pot of money from the Scottish Government, for local services to use to develop new ways that help to support people within their own communities. Its aim is to develop move the focus of care away from hospitals and care homes and more towards communities. Glasgow City has £7.9m in its Change Fund this year, and there will be funding for 3 years).

I have arranged to copy more some more thoughts and feeling from the letters and hand them over after the new year to Ann and Stephen. It was great to be given the opportunity to talk the people in power in Glasgow I really appreciate Sarah being able to accompany me.

January plans so far:

Will be meeting with Peter Daniels, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde Board Vice Chairperson, in early January, then Ian Welsh from Long Term Conditions Alliance Scotland to discuss my campaign. 
My first talk in 2012 will be at the North Dementia Forum. I'll also be working on a new film and meeting the Deputy First Minister Nicola Sturgeon again to discuss the letters handed over in November.

Hope you all have a good festive season.

Cheers,

Tommy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment at the tommyontour blog. Your comment will be moderated and published very soon.

My mums name was Joan ,my Mum Had Dementia - our Story 9 Short Films

Tommy’s speech, providing a carer’s perspective,  on the theme of “ No – one ever asked   ” highlighted the transformational impact that ...