Wednesday 8 June 2011

Making new friends

Hiya,

I don't think I can describe the impact of the past couple of days. I knew that it couldn't just be me trying to cope with being a carer. But I don't think I realised just how many people are in the same position. I've spoken to so many people since Monday morning. So many people who've told me about how they've been affected by caring for someone with dementia.

I made five new friends this morning: Rose, Grace, Francis, Pearl and Liz. I met them at the Dementia Resource Centre in Dundee and, honestly, I could have chatted to them for hours. We shared our experiences, we laughed and we even cried a wee bit. I was sorry to leave them, but I'm so glad to have met them. I'd also like to thank the staff at the centre for making me feel so welcome.

Me and my new friends

 This afternoon I was in Perth. I was asked to open Alzheimer Scotland's new service at the St Paul's Centre in New Row. I didn't know I was the one meant to be cutting the ribbon! Another great bunch of people.

Tomorrow I'm in Falkirk. I'm seeing Neil Sowerby from the Falkirk and District Association of Mental Health in the morning, then I'm with the Alzheimer Scotland Memory Bus at St Francis Xavier's around lunchtime, off to the Dementia Services Development Centre in Stirling in the afternoon and going to a carers' group in Stenhousemuir in the evening. A busy day, but I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Before I go, here's a wee video of me made from some of the filming that happened on my first day. Hope you like it.



Tommy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment at the tommyontour blog. Your comment will be moderated and published very soon.

My mums name was Joan ,my Mum Had Dementia - our Story 9 Short Films

Tommy’s speech, providing a carer’s perspective,  on the theme of “ No – one ever asked   ” highlighted the transformational impact that ...