Wednesday 15 June 2011

Gold stars all round!

Hiya,

If you've seen my wee film, you'll have seen me chatting away to some pupils from Lourdes Secondary School. They've been doing a project on caring and it was great getting the chance to speak to them about what it's like to be a carer.

Me with some of the pupils from Lourdes Secondary School


Well, today I was given over 100 letters from pupils in s1 at the school. All about caring: young carers, kids looking after their parents and other relatives, how their families are coping with grandparents who have dementia. It's amazing - so much thought and effort has gone into them. I've even been invited back next term to talk about reading the letters. I'm overwhelmed, I really am.

I'm so chuffed that young people are thinking about stuff like this. They're the ones who'll be making a difference a few years down the line.A big thanks to Mrs Lennon, Mrs McGettrick and all the staff and pupils for embracing my campaign to collect letters and raise awareness. 



All the best,

Tommy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment at the tommyontour blog. Your comment will be moderated and published very soon.

My mums name was Joan ,my Mum Had Dementia - our Story 9 Short Films

Tommy’s speech, providing a carer’s perspective,  on the theme of “ No – one ever asked   ” highlighted the transformational impact that ...